1. When I was in New York, not only did I go to a book conference for four days, but I also visited seven bookstores - three of them twice. Plus a library.
2. I never take a trip with fewer than three books. Even if it's just an overnight trip. Because you never know...
3. The first thing I do when visiting a person's home is look at their bookshelves.
Things like that. As fun as creating my own list was, I realized it would be even better to hear from my fellow readers. Because if you spend inordinate amounts of time writing or reading book blogs, I'd guess that you suffer from a terminal case of book addiction.
I want to know your #1 reason that you're a book-a-holic.
I'm turning it into a contest! I have a link to a form at the bottom of the post. Fill out the form with your top reason. Eventually I'll post these reasons, and readers can vote on their favorites. Exactly how this will work is still a bit in flux. Depending on the number of responses, the voting may be a multi-step process. Or maybe just all in one post.
Either way, the winner will get a prize. I haven't decided what that will be yet, but I'll let you know. I also don't know for sure when the judging will be. Probably mid to late August. Sorry for the lack of clear planning, but how this contest will go depends on how many people I hear from, as well as how busy I am in August given my impending move.
Top Ten Reasons I Know I'm Addicted to Books Contest
1. You can only enter one reason - not two, not five, not three - one. Otherwise, it will get unwieldy.
2. Do not post your reason in the comments. It will spoil the surprise for the eventual judging post.
*Feel free to post other things in the comments - like complimenting my brilliance or my good looks... unless you think I'm stupid and ogre-like. Then you can skip commenting. :-)